Workbench, so close yet so far away.
After letting the glue dry overnight, it is time to trim the extra length of the tenons poking through the bench top. I didn’t quit know the best way to handle this so tried different methods. I tried laying a saw flat on the bench and just using the top of the bench as a guide. This worked well until the last portion of the tenon. While I expected the saw to chew up the top a bit, I didn’t realize the the saw would actually dig into the top. This created a gouge in the top that will now have to be planed out. Ugh.
Next attempt was using a jack plane and just feverishly working the plane until the tenon was flush with the top. If you want a workout, this is the way to go. For me? No thanks. I actually used that last method for two of the legs before sensibility kicked in.
For the last leg I went back to using the saw. This time I kept a slight pressure on the handle to make the saw angle away from the top of the bench. While this did not result in a flush cut, it did prevent the saw from digging into the bench. Then I used a plane to flush it up. Yeah!
I still have lots of work to to but it is awesome finally having all that wood that I have moved from 3 different houses finally come together into something that resembles a workbench.
I final flatting and construction/installation of the leg vise and this will be ready for use!
Unfortunately, that will have to wait for another year as my job has relocated me back to Japan.